Sunday 6 May 2012


Painting the Innate
How does that work? Well, it is a challenge that I have set myself and for which I have received funding from Creative Scotland,CABN, Scottish Borders Council and Dumfries and Galloway.  So, the monies have allowed me to purchase materials that otherwise I would have not been able to afford in one job lot - pigments, solvents, oils, varnishes and artists linen.
So, what’s the starting point? The starting point is to try to remove all external and internal restrictions, concerns, expectations and any other forces that constrain the creative process. It is born out of a desire to revisit the exciting journey of discovery that I first encountered on my Foundation course under the tutelage of Bill Clark. This was a time of real adventure and challenge to all assumptions that I had about ‘Art’ - for a start 10 minutes of meditation was the order of the day! It was all about possibility, the potential of something that wasn’t rigidly defined, the embarkation of a voyage into beautiful & challenging world of visual culture. God it was good, I mean its stayed with me after all these years, we were made to feel like pioneers - what happened? At what point did I become rudderless? At what point did I allow the other ‘stuff’ to get in the way? Not sure ...
If you, unknowing, are able to create masterpieces in colour, then no knowledge is your way. But, if you are unable to create masterpieces in colour out of your innate intuition, then, you ought to look for knowledge.

I am in search of no knowledge and as part of that quest I have been listening to a cd that I was given: Ken Nordine - Colors.  
Here we go into the unknown
Ken's on and the process begins

The idea is to work the image from all angles

Using water and oil based paints
What have I let myself in for?
Am I as free as I want to be?
It's difficult to maintain ambiguity
Possible compositions for alternative imagery



Hmmm...
Hmmmm 2 ....
Knowing when to stop and when to carry on
Need to focus on needing to not focus
Stage ? as of May 6th
 This is definitely a challenge - listening to the disc which is wonderfully bonkers, for a start, olive is the colour of the year and as for nutria ... there are 45 descriptions of colour and their characteristics. 
 Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment